Friday, October 31, 2008

Cause It's Halloween

I know this is my favorite holiday of the year. I just wasn't feeling it. I'll spare you the whining and self-pity. It just didn't really seem like Halloween. I'd been planning to put my Rhino New Wave Halloween CD on my iPod for weeks, and I never even got around to that, much less the decorating and the pumpkin carving.

Just for the record, a) I love carving pumpkins, and b) I kick ass.

Watching the Office last night, I considered the "Dave" costume, but I didn't even know if I'd go to that much effort.

This morning, I stared into the abyss my closet and decided I'd go ahead and dress up. I dressed as myself from the 80s, and my costume is totally awesome. It's a costume with a relatively small target audience, but I think any of them would instantly recognize it.




Should I worry that I didn't have to break out the Halloween box?

3 comments:

Johnny Yen said...

Wait a minute-- you still dress exactly like you did in the eighties-- black jeans, black leather jacket, etc. How can I tell the difference?

GETkristiLOVE said...

I loved Mindy as Carrie Bradshaw... needing help to walk in those shoes.

deadspot said...

No, Johnny, I dress pretty much like I did in the eighties. On Halloween I dressed exactly like I did in the 80s.

My (actual, no longer functional, but kept for sentimental reasons) Swatch from college; A suit jacket from the Charleston Salvation Army (still in the back of my closet) with the sleeves rolled up to the middle of my forearms and the lapel full of buttons (that I took off of it almost 20 years ago and tossed in a box on my dresser); Old guy hat (rescued from the top shelf, now slightly crushed from being worn by small children back when I had small children) with a No Reagan button in the band, perched on the back of my head all Howard Jones style; Black rubber bracelets... or rather more black rubber bracelets (I still have a bunch of spares because I didn't realize that industrial o-rings look exactly like the el cheapo Spencer's version, but last 2 or 3 decades instead of 2 or 3 months); and A metal studded wristband that I'm pretty sure I last wore bouncing at one of the guys' parties at ISU.

I finished it off with a Dead Kennedys t-shirt and a pair of jeans with ripped knees (I went through them a couple of weeks ago working on the kitchen and didn't want to get paint on a better pair).

Nailed it.

The only thing missing was a pair of fingerless gloves. I lost one of mine a couple of winters ago and I've never made it back to the surplus store to make another pair.



They're mainly good for sitting and looking pretty, right Kristi?