Thursday, June 21, 2007

Declaration Thursday

The Department of Human Relations has raised the dress code to business casual for the rest of the week. "Business casual" is an oxymoron. A person who thinks that it is important to wear business casual to impress people is a regular, garden-variety, moron.

If you need to dress up for people to pay attention to you, the odds of you saying something important are vanishingly slim. Likewise, if you need me to dress up in order for you to pay attention to me, the odds of your opinion mattering to me in any possible way are really quite small.

I am Deadspot, and I support this message.

7 comments:

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

People do tend to take you more seriously if you're wearing khakis and a polo, instead of, say, swim trunks or overalls. It never hurts to spiff up, especially if you want to have any influence in this world. Just ask Stacy and Clinton or recall this quote from Mark Twain: Naked people have little or no influence on society.

deadspot said...

Mark Twain is awesome, isn't he?

Don't get me wrong... I don't mind getting spiffed up when the occasion demands it. I just resent being told to do it for work, to serve as background decoration to impress some visiting clod with whom I will never have any kind of interaction. I'm not an extra.

And actually, I think people take you less seriously in a polo and khakis. You don't look like a professional, you look like a Best Buy employee. Whenever I have to wear our corporate polo, I feel like I need a paper hat to complete the ensemble.

Johnny Yen said...

Does this mean you'll have to get a collar attached to your Ramones t-shirt?

Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Oh yeah? Then how do you explain the fact that Paris Hilton won't go away.

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Does Paris Hilton really have any influence?

Johnny Yen said...

I don't know, Flannery, but I just wish she'd go away and stay there.

Dale said...

Quite a dressing down Deadspot!

Coaster Punchman said...

I wish my corporate uniform included a paper hat. That would be totally sweet.